Social Media Manifesto




This short video really hit home. I can become so caught up in social media. (Yes, I am fully aware that I am writing a blog post about this right now. I am waiting for Guy to get home so we can go on a hike!) I have facebook and now this blog. I use pinterest at least once a day. I check the blogs I follow 4-5 times a week and am constantly surfing the web, looking for new content. Yes, I spend a lot of time on the internet. I find myself becoming distracted when Guy is around and he knows that when I say, "Just a minute" or "I'm just turning my computer off" it rarely means what I am actually saying. It has not put a strain on our relationship like the one portrayed in the video, but it could become that it I do not start to monitor my time spent on my laptop.

Guy and I do not own smartphones and right now, it is only because we cannot afford them. The more I think about it, the more I do not want one. Time and time again I have been talking to a friend/family member/stranger and they pull out their phone and check something while we are still talking. It makes me feel that what I am saying and my company in general is not as important compared to what is going on with someone's phone. I do not want that to happen to me. I do not want to get sucked into my phone (or social media).

image

I have decided to create my own personal social media manifesto.

1. Spend more time connecting with people in person.
2. Reduce leisure internet time to one hour daily.
3. In that one hour, check facebook only once.
4. If Guy asks me to focus on him rather than on my computer, even if it is during my one hour of leisure internet surfing, stop what I am doing and pay attention.
5. Make one recipe a week that I have been pinning excessively.
6. When not on the internet or studying, get off the couch and do something with Guy.

Well, my one hour is almost up and Guy just walked in the door. I have better things to do than write more on this post.



image


No comments :

Post a Comment